INTERNET (AUGUST 30, 2020) (SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE – ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
1. STILL IMAGE FROM MLS COMMUNICATIONS TWITTER PAGE WITH STATEMENT FROM MLS COMMISSIONER DON GARBER, SAYING:
2. CLOSE-UP OF STATEMENT
INTERNET (AUGUST 27, 2020) (SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE – ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
3. STILL IMAGE FROM TORONTO FC PLAYER JOZY ALTIDORE’S TWITTER PAGE, SAYING:
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA (FILE – AUGUST 18, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’)
4. STILL PHOTO OF TORONTO FC FORWARD JOZY ALTIDORE WARMING UP BEFORE MLS GAME AGAINST VANCOUVER WHITECAPS WEARING A BLACK LIVES MATTER T-SHIRT
SANDY, UTAH, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 26, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’) (MUTE)
5. STILL PHOTO OF SCOREBOARD AT REAL SALT LAKE’S RIO TINTO STADIUM ANNOUNCING THE GAME WITH LOS ANGELES FC HAS BEEN POSTPONED
6. STILL OF LAFC PLAYERS POSING FOR PHOTO ON RIO TINTO STADIUM FIELD WHILE WEARING BLACK LIVES MATTER T-SHIRTS AFTER THEIR GAME WITH REAL SALT LAKE WAS POSTPONED
KISSIMMEE, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (FILE – JULY 22, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’) (MUTE)
7. STILL PHOTO OF REAL SALT LAKE FORWARD SAM JOHNSON WEARING BLACK LIVES MATTER T-SHIRT WHILE WARMING UP FOR GAME AGAINST SPORTING KANSAS CITY AT ESPN WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS COMPLEX
PORTLAND, OREGON, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 29, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’) (MUTE)
8. STILL PHOTO OF REAL SALT LAKE MIDFIELDER EVERTON LUIZ (WHITE JERSEY) FIGHTING FOR BALL WITH PORTLAND TIMBERS ERYK WILLIAMSON DURING MLS GAME
STORY: Major League Soccer (MLS) said on Sunday (August 30) that Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen, who is being investigated by the governing body over allegations that he had used racist language, is set to sell Utah Soccer Holdings.
Utah Soccer Holdings owns the MLS side Real Salt Lake, National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) team Utah Royals and second division side Real Monarchs in the United Soccer League.
Hansen had come under fire after criticising players for refusing to take the field in protest against racial injustice following the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man, in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
«MLS will work with Mr. Hansen on supporting the sale efforts for the company and will work closely with the club’s executive staff to support the operations of the team during the transition period,» MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement
«I want to acknowledge Dell Loy Hansen’s significant efforts to build the sport of soccer in the state of Utah and for his commitment to Major League Soccer.»
Hansen had condemned the players’ decision to protest and likened it to being «stabbed», saying the «disrespect was profound».
Garber had issued a statement on Thursday when the investigation was announced, stating that he «strongly disagreed» with Hansen’s comments and that they did not reflect the views of the MLS.
The MLS Players Association had described the allegations as «sickening» and implored the league to suspend Hansen, adding that he should be forced to sell the team if the allegations were substantiated.
«He needs to sell the team,» American striker Jozy Altidore said earlier this week. «I’m involved in a group that’s ready to purchase it. Time for change.»
NWSL Commissioner Lisa Baird said in a statement on Sunday that the sale was «in the best interest» of the women’s team and league.
«Mr. Hansen’s contributions to the league’s growth and the continued development of soccer are notable, but we agree that the decision is the right one for the future of the Royals,» she said.
(Production: David Grip)